Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why an attack on Eden Fantasys dragged me out of hiatus

I have horribly neglected this blog - but I'm back, in time for a rant.

One of my favorite Twitter chums - who I love and adore - pointed out today that the 'auto cue' feed in Google throws up a pretty interesting search result if you type in the words Eden Fantasys - first thing that comes up is 'Eden Fantasys Scam.'


While I completely adore my Twitter pal, she and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to my favorite purveyor of provocative playthings (as is her right, and I'm glad we can be friends despite that.) This is why, when she made this discovery, she posted: "There is a reason this company comes up on a Google search in this way."

And in her defense, she's absolutely right - there is. But not in the way she might have thought.

Because if you write Eden Fantasys into another search engine, like Yahoo, for example, you'll find that the results that get displayed are different - more like you'd expect to find regarding a popular online retailer.



So why is Google different?

I suspect a Googlebomb - a deliberate and lengthy digital attack made to distort and manipulate a search engine's ranking. You do it by repeatedly entering terms you want to be associated with a specific set of keywords. Back during the days of President Bush, for example, somebody did it by linking his name to the words 'miserable failure' and created a fake 404 page for the keywords 'weapons of mass destruction.'

It seems to me that somebody has laboriously done the same with Google to connect the word 'scam' with Eden Fantasys.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Who would take the time and effort to do something so mind-numbingly pathetic and insidious?

Well, actually there's a laundry list of suspects. You have the remember the enthusiasm in which some of Eden's detractors attacked this company before. Remember somebody with far too much time on their hands once set up a site called www.edenfallacys.com, specifically written to list their complaints?

Another blogger still remarks in her twitter feed that 'she'd never miss an opportunity to attack EF' because they kicked her out of their forums (the Groucho Club - ur doing it wrong.)

I can understand some of these people's complaints about the way they - as contributors - have been treated in their business relationships with Eden. I can think of three people I think have legitimate complaints about the business they've done with EF, based on what they've told myself and others. They're also, as far as I know, a little too busy and grown up to indulge in Eden-bashing.

It's the ones who aren't so mature who are most passionate about attacking Eden - so much so that they've repeatedly overstepped the bounds of any 'justification' for their complaints and ended up looking like far worse 'bad guys' than EF could ever have been in the first place.

In my mind www.edenfallacys.com was the perfect example of that. Also, the enthusiasm in which certain bloggers tried to create a baseless rumor that Eden sold 'used' sex toys was another pathetic demonstration. By comparison, the 'scam' Google bomb I suspect is small potatoes - but just another example that deeply troubles me.

Yet again, it's malicious, deliberate and - this time worst of all - fundamentally fucking dishonest.

Because if you actually look up Eden Fantasys you'll see they have a stellar reputation when it comes to dealing with customers. They're rated 5 stars on www.resallerratings.com. Trying to deliberately attach the word 'scam' to EF's name is basically trying to infer a connection to dishonest business practices that they don't and have never engaged in.

It's a lie, in other words. It's libel. It's false information.

And frankly, it's pathetic.

Some bloggers have questioned my unswerving loyalty to Eden Fantasys over the years - but this latest vignette in the blogosphere drama demonstrates why I stick with them.

I've done business with Eden as a customer and a contributor - and always been treated right.

In comparison, I've seen several of Eden's most vehement detractors backstab, bitch, badmouth and bellyache so many times that they make Eden Fantasys look like UNICEF by ethical comparison.

There are those few who still have legitimate reasons to complain - I'm not attacking them. But the majority of Eden's 'enemies', however, seem to have abandoned the moral high ground a long time ago.

3 comments:

Lucid Obsession said...

When I started reviewing toys, I signed up with EdenFantasys and loved the site and how everything worked. Shortly after I met some of the same people you are probably alluding too and even visited edenfallacies. My opinion of the company took a nose dive. Why would I want to work with a company my 'friends' tell me is horrible and will in the end, ban me for no reason? So I was hesitant. I wanted to get started reviewing and to do that, I needed products, so I started reviewing for them. Now almost 7 months later I'm glad I didn't give it up. I have had nothing but a great experience working with them. The only issue I have had was that I participated in a community Secret Santa event and the person who got me decided to be a greedy bitch/bastard and not send a present. I mentioned it to an Admin, just to let them know, and they sent me a $25 gift card and the price limit on the Santa gift was $15. I now there are some other issues and there are a few people on the site that I do not like. But what I've learned from playing WoW for 5 years, you're not always going to like or get along with everyone, but as a community and a group to accomplish something greater than one person, you can put that aside and work together. I don't think that everyone on Eden feels that way though, which can cause a bit of tension. But yeah... I agree with you basically.

sassy said...

I never knew that the sex toy industry behaved like a bunch of schoolgirls - the gang mentality nasty ones, not the naughty ones...

Thanks for increasing my awareness of Googlebombs" - sounds like a despicable trick, and reminded me to always read as many differntly sourced reviews as possible.

Good to see you back!

xoxo Sassy whatsthepointinbeingalapdancer@blogspot.com

The Silent Male said...

Well, I am a fan of Eden Fantasys (even if I am a male). I wish there was a better way of keeping their name honest.