Saturday, September 18, 2010

Review: Book of Goddess by The Beautiful Kind

It's fair to say that most of us bloggers are gratuitous self-publicists (I know I certainly am) but very few of us every successfully elevate our online presence to that of a 'brand.'

One of the few who has is The Beautiful Kind, whose blog actually resembles an online sex magazine more than just a regular blog.

One of the things I only recently noticed on The Beautiful Kind is her online eBook: The Book of Goddess.

Since I'm in the writing and publishing industry myself, I gave it a look and here's what I thought:

The Book of Goddess: Elevating your Desirability to Mythic Proportions
by The Beautiful Kind

Let me lay my cards right on the table - I was prepared to judge this eBook by it's virtual cover.

Although I'm wildly impressed with The Beautiful Kind's online presence, she'd made a few inopportune comments on her Twitter feed that had given me the impression that she was a little superficial, narcissistic and full of herself - and at first glance, this book might reinforce that impression.
"I’ve had many women approach me, asking, “TBK, how do you do it? You’re always busy, you have an endless string of admirers, you’ve got young guys, older gentlemen, single men, married men, all wrapped around your finger…how do you seduce them? How do you get them hooked? How do you get them to say things like ‘I’d give my left arm just to taste your sweet ass.’ –"

Book of Goddess, Page 11
But I persevered - and I'm glad I did.

Because once you get past the bluster and the hyperbole, The Beautiful Kind's how-to guide to unleashing a woman's inner Goddess actually turns out to be more than just well-written - it contains an awful lot of pertinent, ponderable advice.

It's all unleashed in a 'stream of consciousness' style - like she decided to write a book, and just sat down and did it rather than planning, plotting or organizing her thoughts in advance.

It's also very singular in its voice - her 'advice' is merely what worked for her, and what she assumes will work for other women, but she fails to make that distinction and therefore there are going to be a significant number of readers for whom the applicable advice wildly misses the mark.

But the fact is there's gold in her advice - and something more valuable than that.

The Book of Goddess is written in a beautifully positive, affirmative tone that empowers its reader - so even if some of the specific advice might not be applicable to all (like her advice to "Get pregnant. Pregnant women are never bored") the overall attitude encourages readers to take control of their own life and their own happiness and that's really priceless advice.

In fact, ultimately the reason the book resonated with me was because of that 'can do' attitude and the fact that The Beautiful Kind advocates action over excuses - in so much self-help literature written by women, there's this push to 'pass the buck' and offer excuses to justify your situation, rather than actions to overcome it. The Book of Goddess, even as it hints at aspects of spirituality and magic, ultimately relies on purely pragmatic advice that actually promises real results. That you can't help but admire.

And there's a lot of advice in this book that you can similarly admire:
"Stop watching TV. TV controls your thoughts, influences you, steals your time away from better things."

"So many women allow themselves to be chosen instead of choosing a partner for themselves."

"As long as you have food in your belly, a roof over your head, and people who love you, you’re good to go. That’s all you need."

"If you are mentally unstable, a Negative Nancy, or a drama queen, you run the risk of being an energy vampire, which people tend to avoid."
And my most favorite piece of advice:
"Suck cock on a regular basis."
I won't go into any more of the advice she offers - although there's something incredibly pertinent she raises regarding women on birth control - but I will say that it's worth a read.

The Beautiful Kind's eBook is free to download and this is one of those rare occasions in which something free is worth far more than you paid for it.

I'll admit that I'd been a bit cagey around The Beautiful Kind after she said some incredibly inopportune and blase things on her twitter feed - but ultimately this ebook suggests that's just the kind of attitude she has.

She's blunt and unapologetic and goes around offending people unintentionally and unknowingly - but in many ways that's preferable to the dreary types who spend their entire time censoring themselves so as to be palletable to every outraged minority.

She's just her - and seems to have embraced that for better and for worse - which, to a certain extent, is the message of The Book of Goddess (and a very admirable one.)

Download it now.

12 comments:

Dangerous Lilly said...

I have to say....I'd had much higher hopes for YOU reviewing this to have a sensible head on your shoulders about the "advice" given in the book.

Seriously? "Gold in her advice"? Seriously?

She's giving "advice" that, as you said, worked for her and she assumes (wrongly) that it'll work for others. No one, IMO, save for a person's doctor, should be telling other women what to do about their birth control. Also, not even should the suggestion to get pregnant (as a method to combat boredom) have been uttered as a joke much less the somewhat-serious attitude she no doubt was saying it with. She is largely unqualified to be writing this book of advice and I fear even some of her readers will not see that fact, and actually take some of this (possibly dangerous) advice.

It's been a long while since I attempted to slog through the book so I can't really comment on anything in particular other than it was poorly done. The overall message? sure, great. but the exact "suggestions" she gives are, frankly, suspect and sometimes laughable. It feels like a "How to make yourself a clone of TBK" mixed with an awful lot of self-ass-fluffing.

*sigh* Dude, you've always been abrasive and never afraid to call anybody on their bullshit. Sometimes (ok many times) you're over the top. So who abducted C&B and replaced him with this yes-man clone? I'm actually still blinking in disbelief.

Kendra Holliday said...

Thank you so much for the review! Your praise means a lot to me. I'm really glad you took the time to look beyond the cover and sassy tweets!

I have a lot of exciting new projects launching starting October 1!

xoxo

Hot Momma said...

I have sent TBK's E-book to several of my 'stupid' girlfriends, you know the kind...emotional vampires, dating the same guy every other month, can't seem to break their endless cycle of drama....
I don't know if they have read it, but I wish I would have had someone tell me some of the things TBK listed in the book about 15 years ago!
Everyone can take something from her book, it is common sense and realistic.
I also think that her book is a great introduction to TBK in of itself. I wouldn't just randomly send her blog link to acquaintances, just in case they end up opening up to a posting of her getting fisted !
I also have to say, that unlike some bloggers, she stays true to her blog, she doesn't meander into other territories, she doesn't use her blog as a bitch session and it has always felt like a community online. I live in Colorado and have made friends with other TBK readers that live here!

Teegan said...

For the record, I'd like to point out that Dangerous Lily above isn't "qualified" to write a review. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love TBK's book. I love her voice, I love her advice, I only wish it were longer.

And I highly agree about the sucking cock advice. I think it does wonders for my skin.

The Velvet Lilly said...

I adore this book and I adore The Beautiful Kind.
It's funny to me that anyone could assume The Beautiful Kind to be blasé, superficial or full of herself. Just from a twitter feed?
Nothing could be further from the truth.
I've met TBK and I was really curious at the first in person meeting , what I would find. Reading her blog, she seemed bigger than life- and I am no meek woman by any standard.
To my delight and amazement, she is one of the sweetest, bubbly, youthful and accepting women I've ever met.
She has a power , even in her smile, that goes beyond mere acceptance and celebrating you for just who you are.
It's a quality she doesn't even seem to be aware of.
And her book as well as her blog is a wonderful learning tool for so many people. A safe place to explore sexuality, kink, and discuss why they find things sexual or not with other positive supportive people.

There is huge value in this. It's a huge gift for us all.
I say cheers to The Beautiful Kind for being the Matriarch and Goddess of kink, and the feminine "yes we can" of sexuality.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Velvet Lilly. I can't wait to hand this over to my sister when she's ready for it. I had been waiting for TBK's book with baited breath, and it totally delivered. I think I'm going to have to read it again. Right now. I almost think it could be read as a sort of psyche boost everyday. Wake up, read it, and go out and kick some ass all day long.

Champers and Benz said...

Teegan - I'm not quite sure what you meant by your comment, but Dangerous Lilly is most DEFINITELY qualified to review things and her opinion is always welcome here.

Anonymous said...

so how many times and under how many different identities is tbk going to leave positive comments about her own book? this is lame, dude.

Isabella said...

I have recommended TBK's Book to NUMEROUS women. If only every woman could feel the power of embracing the goddess within her we'd all be better off! I'm so glad I've come across a kindred spirit like TBK whose outlook on womanhood and sexuality is so positive. How wonderful that she has a way to share what she's learned with so many.

Kendra Holliday said...

I've received a lot of feedback that my ebook has changed lives and relationships. Many women have transformed into goddesses. One couple opened up their relationship. One woman left her bad marriage.

Here is one woman's amazing experience after reading The Book of Goddess: http://thebeautifulkind.com/columns/my-first/time-reading-book-goddess

So inspiring!

LambChop said...

I'd like to say that I also thought the "suck cock on a regular basis" was the best advice. It's always worked for me, and I've been a Goddess for YEARS!
;)